September 8, 2008

House on the Rock (Read to the end)

The wise man built his house upon the rock

The wise man built his house upon the rock

The wise man built his house upon the rock

And the rain came tumbling down


Oh, the rain came down

And the floods came up

The rain came down

And the floods came up

The rain came down

And the floods came up

And the wise man's house stood firm.


The foolish man built his house upon the sand

The foolish man built his house upon the sand

The foolish man built his house upon the sand

And the rain came tumbling down


Oh, the rain came down

And the floods came up

The rain came down

And the floods came up

The rain came down

And the floods came up

And the foolish man's house went "splat!" [clap hands once]


So, build your house on the Lord Jesus Christ

Build your house on the Lord Jesus Christ

Build your house on the Lord Jesus Christ

And the blessings will come down

Oh, the blessings come down

As your prayers go up

The blessings come down

As your prayers go up

The blessings come down

As your prayer go up

So build your house on the Lord Jesus Christ.


Matthew 7:24-27 is the basis for this popular children's song. I can remember almost all of the hand motions that go with it. I never knew the context of it, which is always the problem of children's songs. This passage is a sobering warning about not following the words of our Lord and all of Scripture for that matter. Verse 27 ends with the phrase, "And great was its fall.

Great is the fall of those who's life is outside of Christ. Great is the fall of the family who does not have godly leadership. Great is the fall of the church that fails to preach the Word.

For those who remember MP's first blog, it was all about a search for wisdom (still working on that). If I want to be regarded as wise by my Savior, I MUST listen to His word! This morning in worship, my pastor shared some thoughts from Mark Dever, about how to biblically build the church. While he may have had the corporate body in mind, I couldn't help but to apply it directly to me as a man, using it to apply to my own walk with Christ. I am going to expand on them (I finally have something to focus on!) over a few posts.

---MP

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anybody else want to watch MP sing this song, motions and all? :-) I gotta be honest though, as a kid I always wondered why somebody would have built that close to the water anyway. I had a picture of somebody building on a beach.

24Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:

25And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.

26And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:

27And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.


I'd have to agree with MP's thoughts on this pertaining to a person's life. Perhaps I'm being nitpicky (yeah, occasionally) but I think it's pretty evident that we don't build a Church, but Christ does. Petra mean anything to anyone? There is no sand option for THE Church. Gates of Hell and all ya know.
Don't want to challenge Mr. Dever or the pastor here but there are plenty of other passages dealing with preaching the truth from the pulpit that perhaps this one should be left where it was intended. You've gotta pull these verses waaaaay outa the context of chapter 7 to preach church building with them.
IMO anyway!


TL

Anonymous said...

I actually think the point of the message was building on the Word, which I will get to when JP quits driving off with my notes in The Ride!!

---MP